Rage and Love
Your rage is your gold.
Because it is the rage that is coming from love.
From love for each other. Love for the earth.
And it is this rage that can transform the world.
----
I have been thinking about what contemporary painting means.
It is difficult to admit that painting can do only little for people's life.
When I graduated from law school, I was very disappointed because I felt deceived. I have to cram myself with lots of things before really getting into practicing law. And practicing law is nothing like being a law student.
Only the most engaging and fiercest legal debates intrigue me.
I had a hard time memorizing the law codes.
Despite the grudge I hold against the law school, I did learn a lot there.
I began to trouble myself with problems of other people like divorced women, immigrants, working women, single moms, and so on. In Tort Law I learned a lot of weird stories that were beyond my monotonous life.
I guess that is where art and law overlap.
Both of them derived from caring for somebody.
I was more aware of things like justice, power, social structures, and my reduced situation as a woman after law school.
Back to the video, I wonder if I make art out of rage.
Even though rage is a pretty strong word, I think rage works just fine.
Like I only do journaling when I am sad, painting for me is a service of confronting affliction.
The opposite of love is not hatred but indifference.
You rage only if you care (or love).
留言
張貼留言